i had to get this out my system i tried so Hard to not draw anything until a translation was out but i have no self-control when it comes to makoharu THE SNOW TRACK WAS SO CUTE……
ALSO THOSE ARE NOT THE NOISES YOU MAKE WHEN YOUR BOYFRIEND IS FORCING HIS JACKET ON YOU OKAY
Okay I just LOVE how Rin is so easily affected by Makoto’s words like remember the time Makoto called to ask him to join the swimming club? Then the time when Makoto asked him to take part in Splash Fest? Then NOW MAKOTO FUCKING TOLD HIM THAT HARUKA TURNED INTO A MACKEREL AND HE BELIEVED IT OMFG SERIOUSLY RIN YOU DORK!!!!
Rin’s one-sided crush on Makoto is canon you don’t tell me otherwise.
It was an event of complete emotional annihilation, that’s what.
I expected nothing less, but ugh. I’ve been rolling around in too much pain to be coherent and I thought it would cool off a little by the weekend for me to talk about it a bit before the next wave of destruction courtesy of ep12, but no, it hurts and it got worse.
Here, have an informal list of things that struck me:
- Acknowledgement of the swim club by the rest of their school — the club has done its fair share of dubious, gossip-inducing things in the past, so it’s really good to see that their schoolmates and teachers are aware of their achievements and offer genuine encouragement and praise. This is especially important because we know of their ongoing need to recruit more club members — scenes like this demonstrate that the club has gained credibility in the eyes of their school (and hopefully beyond), making it probable that more people would join to keep it afloat beyond the departure of the current third years.
- Haruka says he’s not swimming just to win and the other sportspeople are like no huh what swim to win please swimming is a sport — and their subsequent musings about maybe trying indifference as a tactic to winning. It’s just a small snippet of a conversation but it does once again highlight the difference between Haruka’s attitude versus other people’s attitude, and also the ease and effortlessness of natural talent. The scene even acts as a reminder that swimming as a sport requires a different mentality from the “free” passion and love of being in the water that Haruka currently possesses.
- Amakata-sensei covering for Haruka to her higher-ups, and more-or-less telling the Principal not to bother Haruka about the failed freestyle race (although in a very subtle polite manner). Amakata-sensei demonstrating awareness that Haruka is dealing with Teenage Issues and indicating her belief that the best thing for them adults to do now is to watch over him patiently.
- Sasabe demonstrating the same awareness almost immediately when he butts into Nagisa and Rei’s conversation. I like that the two primary adult figures in the series aren’t cast as ignorant, stupid, negligent or forceful — they obviously know that the kids have a lot on their plate. They have simply decided to give Haruka space and trust that he will figure it out, because in the end we all have to figure things out for ourselves.
- Rin has gone from uncertainty/fear/being on the verge of quitting to being able to pick any university swim team he wants because they all want him O M G the amount of personal triumph contained within that development is staggering.
- Ai’s honest love and admiration of Rin — he gets teary and disappointed at thoughts of being unable to swim with Rin, or Rin leaving. Seijuurou’s and Ai’s feelings towards Rin are very important to me — the two of them were there when he was at his worst, and they have stuck by him and believed in him. Having cared so much about him, they also feel very proud of him now.
- The entirety of Momotaro’s impromptu speech regarding eternal summers was beautiful. Sports anime, guys, not end of your lives.
- Those frames of Haruka stepping onto the starting block. The starting block is marked with “1”, calling to mind a winners’ podium.
- The closeness and nakama power is bleeding obvious with the Iwatobis — one person’s personal troubles quickly spreads and infects the rest, everyone looks worried and uncertain and it impacts directly on their swimming.
- Gou and Hana-chan, angsting about third year pain. I love.
- Makoto under the radar, as usual. Such character construction is meant to enable the audience to observe/find out what the rest of the in-universe cast do not know; it is a technique ordinarily employed for specific character types — those who keep things to themselves, those who have secrets to hide, those who do things alone (loners), etc. It is to flag to the audience that there is something going on, to allow the audience to speculate and therefore realise that a confrontation or discovery will take place further down the story. Often the audience also figures out the plot in advance.
I… am honestly floored by the number of people who have not been paying attention to Makoto’s subplot; there have been so many indicators and moments like these are absolutely in your face.
- In that talk with Haruka, Sousuke was really… presumptuous and self-serving. Not ooc and not inconsistent with his motives and preoccupations, but what an unpleasant attitude to adopt. Haruka has always been pretty chill and composed in confrontations, and even he frowned so hard lol.
- That H + M walk home was so loaded A+++. It should be an axiom that the most domestic/slice-of-life/everyday scenes are the ones which reveal the most about Haruka, Makoto, and Haruka&Makoto.
- The leadership angle has been played so strong in Rin’s favour this season.
- In the scene where Gou shows the chart to the boys, there is an interesting sequence — we are shown each of the boys’ troubled faces consecutively: Nagisa, Rei, Haruka —> all three of them have identical furrowed brows and downcast gazes. But Makoto is different. Makoto’s brows are furrowed, yes, but he is looking at Haruka, and then he looks away to the side, then we get a zoom in on his eyes.
- Not going to lie I screamed at the flight ticket to Sydney.
- Not going to lie I screamed at the text from Makoto to Rin please make this a continuation of their hotel room talk please.
- Kyoto Animation’s attention to detail re: characters’ rooms, houses and environments is extraordinary; the environments function as characterisation, exactly as they should.
- There is a conspicuous lack of Makoto as a topic of discussion in chats amongst other characters. CONSPICUOUS. It is at its most glaring during the Nagisa and Rei talk — a lack of discourse regarding Makoto’s future, choices, behaviour, etc. We know that they care about Makoto too, yet Makoto is hardly if ever mentioned at all, despite being in the same third year boat as Haruka. It’s as though nothing about him has given anyone reason to be concerned. As the audience with more clues given to us, we know that Makoto is also having to think about these big issues, that he is also worried, at a crossroads, with hidden burdens growing on him. But the other characters talk about Haruka, worry about Haruka, feel the need to talk to Haruka… THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES ABOUT (a) MAKOTO’S ABILITY TO DEFLECT ATTENTION AND ESCAPE NOTICE, (b) HIS SHEER SKILL AT KEEPING HIS PAIN TO HIMSELF, (c) THE AMOUNT OF EFFORT HE PUTS IN TO ENSURE PEOPLE NEVER WORRY ABOUT HIM, (d) HIS PROPENSITY TO SUFFER IN SILENCE.
- Haruka sulks off as everybody watches. That frame when Makoto’s sets his jaw. The determination and the inevitability. It has come down to him — some part of him has known it all along, knew it would turn out like this, that it would be him, and he would have to do something.
- This is a boy who has done everything humanly possible to avoid conflict over the course of his life. He walks straight to where he knows his best friend will be — a person who he absolutely cannot bear to lose — and opens his mouth.
- He starts off so gentle, voice soft and quiet, lays out the unconditional support and love before he even gets into anything else. He’s terrified and privately anxious, fingers flexing and gripping onto the railing. He still wants this to go well, he still hopes that he can say his piece and Haruka can say his piece and they can work it out.
- I A M I N S O M U C H P A I N
- A U S T R A L I A
summer is over boys„„
me looking for someone to date:
ive got nothing 2 say anymore
Baby Doe eyed Kageyama makes me want to cry